The internet is a powerful global computer network that provides a variety of information and answers to every question any person may have. Almost every person in the world has access to it and enjoys the benefits of having information that is easily accessible. However, it can also be a dangerous tool used by cybercriminals who take advantage of the internet to steal important information from innocent users that are unaware of their tactics.
As the work landscape has changed, and more workers have been working remotely, here are some tips to ensure you and your company stay safe and secured online.
- Make sure to connect to a secure network and use a company-issued Virtual Private Network (VPN) – It’s essential to have your routers at home to be up to date with the latest software. When doing work-related stuff, do not connect to public WiFi, especially when accessing work systems and software, unless using the VPN issued by your company.
- Be sure to use strong passwords on all your accounts – A strong password is at least 15 characters long, containing a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Refrain from using personal or common information that can be easily guessed. Change your passwords often, and most importantly, don’t share your passwords with other people.
- Beware of malware campaigns – malware is short for ‘malicious software’ and is intended to destroy your computer’s functionality. When checking your email or visiting websites, make sure you know and trust the links before clicking on them. One way to check if the link is safe is to mouse over it. The full url of the website should show, allowing you to verify the preview link matches the site it should be from.
- Only use devices and applications that are approved by your company – These devices and applications are already vetted and secured by your company to use for work. Do not substitute using your preferred tools.
- Ensure you have a reliable IT support system in place – As online security and safety are extremely important, especially for agencies, having reliable IT support is a given. Information security requires specialized skills and having an IT solutions expert to do that can give you peace of mind. Especially for business owners and agencies, getting an IT services team gives you the freedom to focus on your business with confidence that your IT systems are well protected. BreakForth Solutions partners with clients to ensure they develop system security designs that fit the needs of their agencies.